Hammers make their point; Hoppers win home finale

Bellingham United’s first point of the 2015 season was also a dagger blow to South Sound FC’s title hopes. Meanwhile in Yakima the Hoppers shut out Seattle.

South Sound FC 2-2 Bellingham United

LAKEWOOD, WA— (club release) South Sound FC allowed a late goal by Bellingham United FC on Saturday afternoon to end the last home match of the season with a 2-2 draw giving Bellingham their first point of the season.

South Sound started the match strong with a few shots on goal and a few saves by GK Chris Kintz in his last home match for South Sound. South Sound thought they had their first goal of the match in the 21st minute after the ball appeared to have crossed the line, but the goal wasn’t awarded by the referee.

It took a few more shots, saves and corners before team Captain Micah Wenzel scored a header off a ball sent in by Cody Guthrie in the 43’. South Sound was on the board, the score was 1-0. It didn’t’ take long before Bellingham leveled the score though. Just two minutes later Kyle Witzel scored. The half ended 1-1.

Halftime subs included Kenneth Phillips, Brandon Madsen and Isidro Prado-Huerta came into the match replacing JJ Schmeck, Tyler John and Eli Peterson.

The second half of the match proved to be chippy with Bellingham getting two yellow cards in the first 10 minutes of the half and a second yellow sending Lenny Cucina off in the 77’ after a foul on GK Chris Kintz.

Isidro Prado-Huerta scored South Sound’s second goal of the night off a cross sent in by Brandon Madsen in the 81’. The score was 2-1 in South Sound’s favor. But just before the final whistle Bellingham’s Kyle Witzel would score one last goal leveling the match one more time. The match would end with a 2-2 draw.

Join South Sound FC Sunday, July 12, 1pm for the second annual FootGolf Classic at Eagles Pride golf course. More information can be found at our website http://www.southsoundfc.com. It will be your last chance to support the boys in person before the head out to nationals.

EVERGREEN PREMIER LEAGUE – 2015  (Through July 11) Pts GP W L T GF GA GD
SOUTH SOUND FC 28 13 8 1 4 35 17 +18
SPOKANE SHADOW 26 11 8 1 2 28 11 +17
VANCOUVER VICTORY FC 22 12 7 4 1 28 13 +15
WENATCHEE FC 17 12 5 5 2 24 30 -6
YAKIMA UNITED FC 15 13 4 6 3 26 28 -2
SEATTLE STARS FC 12 11 3 5 3 16 22 -6
OLYMPIC FORCE 12 11 4 7 0 25 33 -8
BELLINGHAM UNITED FC 1 11 0 10 1 12 40 -28


Yakima United 1-0 Seattle Stars FC

YAKIMA, WA — Yakima United FC used a first-half goal from Willie Pineda and a strong defense to shut out Seattle 1-0 at Marquette Stadium on July 11 in the Hoppers’ home finale.

“We wanted to make the most of this last opportunity to represent our team and this nice crowd,” Yakima goalkeeper Jacob Rhoads told the Herald. “We had a great effort on defense — the communication was there, the coverage was there and the effort was there. Plus, it was nice to get some revenge on these guys.”

Pineda’s second goal of the season came early on, in the 16th minute of play. He received a nice ball from Andres Ruiz and then made one move before deftly curving the ball around and out of the reach of Seattle keeper Scott Barnam.

Rhoads was voted by fans in an online poll as the Man of the Match for Yakima.

Jacob Rhoads wiht his Man of the Match award. (Hoppers Twitter)
Jacob Rhoads with his Man of the Match award. (Hoppers Twitter)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s