Hammers, Shock end season with goal explosions


The 2017 Evergreen Premier League season came to an end on Sunday July 30 with two lopsided wins for home sides. While league champions Seattle Stars FC were getting their trophy and medals at Starfire, Bellingham United and WPSS Shock were scoring a combined 13 goals.


Bellingham United 7-0 Yakima United

BELLINGHAM, WA— The day after the Hammers learned they could not catch the Seattle Stars at the top of the EPLWA table they went out and let Yakima United and the league know that they were more than worthy to have done so. The Hammers took a 7-0 win that ended their season on 32 points – which would historically be enough to win the league. Instead, BUFC now has the distinction of the best point total for a #2 finish in EPLWA history.

Match Gallery: by Jon Bergman

The goal scoring frenzy started with a penalty converted by Richard Henderson. He also went on to score his second demonstrating his accuracy curling the ball inches away from the opposing goalkeeper’s reach. The third goal came early in the second half by the header of Luke Olney kissing the inside of the post and then into the net. The fourth goal was from the hat trick hero, Richard Henderson, taking another penalty kick to put Bellingham up 4-0. The fifth goal was scored by Nick Cashmere coming in as sub in the second half earning the team a PK and a goal. The final two goals were scored by the super sub Taylor Allen his first season as a Hammer.


WPSS Shock 6-0 Oly Town Artesians

PUYALLUP, WA—The Washington Premier South Sound Shock finished 3rd in the table for the season and made noise that they are young and ready for more after a 6-0 thumping over the Oly Town Artesians at WPFC Fields on July 30.

Sunday’s game opened quickly with both teams going back and forth with many good chances, but it was South Sound that got the finishes. Tyler John scored on a corner kick from Isidro Prado-Huerta in the 15th minute to make it 1-0 and Brandon Madsen made it 2-0 in the 25th after a defensive mistake left him in great position in the box. The first half came to a close with the Artesians still within striking distance.

The second half opened the same, with plenty of Oly Town chances, but it was Madsen with his second goal of the day to make it 3-0 in the 59th minute. With the Artesians pressing on offense with nothing left to lose, the South Sound counterattack took advantage and scored three goals to close things out, two by JJ Schmeck and one by Aiden Genovese. South Sound improved to 7-5-2 with 23 points to take third place in the EPLWA.

The Artesians finished their first season in the EPLWA in sixth place, two places ahead of two-time league champion Spokane Shadow and three points ahead of Yakima United, and were in the hunt for third place all the way up until the 13th game. Surf Wodajo and JT Meyer finished the season tied for the club lead with three goals apiece and Gabriele Zaccagnini led the way with six assists. Goalkeeper JJ Olson posted two shutouts for the boys from Olympia.







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s